Friday, July 22, 2011

Goodreads Quotes

One of the things I find weirdly fascinating about Goodreads is the ability to see how many other people have "liked" a particular quote.

For instance, 279 people liked this quote from The Last Unicorn (thank you Peter S. Beagle):

"Great heroes need great sorrows and burdens, or half their greatness goes unnoticed. It is all part of the fairy tale."

but only 14 people liked this bit from the same book:

"The magician was studying her face with his green eyes. "Your face is wet," he said worriedly. "I hope that's spray. If you've become human enough to cry, then no magic in the world — oh, it must be spray. Come with me. It had better be spray."

And while I know that first quote is infinitely more, well, quotable, I love the second one just a little bit more because of the em dash and those last two lines. And I want other people to love it, too.

Maybe it's just me, but I sometimes find myself scrolling through my Goodreads quote list and feeling weirdly protective of the quotes that don't have as many likes as I would expect. I find myself wondering about the three or four or fourteen other people who liked them and whether or not they are somehow kindred spirits.

2 comments: